Monday, May 23, 2022

New Dell Laptop!

So in April, I got a new Dell laptop - Inspiron 7415 All in One. Its a nice AMD Ryzen 5 laptop with a touch screen. I immediately upgraded the ram and SSD. Unfortunately, Dell's BIOs in this system leave MUCH to be desired.




There are no settings to boot from a USB drive, meaning you have to hack a few settings in the BIOs to get it to properly boot from USB media. Documentation for this process is almost non-existent and had to be pieced together from several articles and owner manuals.


And wait, did you want to install a distro of Linux on this machine? Well, too damned bad. You'll install Windows and Like it! Seriously, I paid $800 for a laptop that won't let me install whatever I want on it


Also, Samsung. (Sigh) Samsung is in the habit of not formatting their SSDs and this makes it difficult when adding one to a new computer. You must first, connect the drive to another computer and format the drive in NTFS, then pop the drive into your target machine and install your OS.




After two days of tweaking, I managed to get a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro back onto the machine. I also installed a fresh Office 2021 Pro onto the machine. Lastly, I installed Steam and Art Rage to take advantage of the touch screen features.




No comments:

Post a Comment